"Dan" <dbcemid=/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote in message
20030115170445.93053.qmail@web14501.mail.yahoo.com">news:20030115170445.93053.qmail@web14501.mail.yahoo.com...
> > This is true ... but I am investigating a way to change that.
> Why?  Why not put the onus on the subscriber?

Because the mailing lists archives can be a prime source for spammers.  I am
militantly anti-spam.

> Are you going to mask out phone numbers and other personal info too?

No, but spammers aren't interested in that.

> Also, David, there may
> be legitimate reasons to keep the email address in a archived post,
> such as a "If anyone is interested in this, contact me offlist at
> dbcemud=/E1597aS9LQAvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org".

In live messages, yes ... but not really in the archives. (IMHO).

> I learned long ago not to archive every message that gets sent.  I use
> the midrange.com archives extensively.  Yahoo gives me 4MB.  That's a
> LOT of text-based email.  If I ever fill up that much space in an email
> account that only sees Midrange-L posts, then I've got some
> housecleaning to do.

I wasn't so saying that because of archiving messages ... more for mailboxes
getting full.  Messages get bounced when your mailbox gets full.

> Could you explain the bounced messages?  Are you speaking of *my*
> web-based email account reaching capacity and bouncing back to *your*
> server?  If so, again, I refer to the previous paragraph.

The mailing list software detects when a message is returned to it ... if
your mail service consistantly returns messages for 5 days, your mailing
list subscription will be disabled until you re-enable it.

> BTW, Rob mentioned the spam he got from Ed Gizowski and I had replied
> that I had not received any.  Well today I checked one of my other
> email accounts that previously had only been used for a Midrange-Jobs
> list subscription.  But I cancelled that subscription last August.
> AND, there's no archive for Midrange-Jobs.  Hmmm.

I can't find macro computer's subscription address, if they have one ... so
there's really not much I can do at this point.

david