'Why change what is working?'
Are you saying that IBM, or the vendors, are not changing the iseries
because of this attitude?  Actually IBM has made hundreds of changes to
the software, and the hardware.  Granted, the vendors are extremely slow
to take advantage of these changes because of the misguided attitude that
they need to support obsolete versions of the operating system.  How many
vendors in the wintel world only write their applications if they will
continue to support DOS on a dual diskette machine?

'Performance hit of the new function for the minimal gain'
Granted some of the releases have had some performance impact.  But
they've always had new features.  If you choose to label these 'minimal
gain' that's your opinion.

What does a native gui buy you?
A windows server has a native gui but whoever attaches to a windows server
directly and not via another client?  Never more than one!
What is native:
- hard wired programming burned into a chip on a 'dumb' terminal - be it
5250, ascii, xwindows, etc
- Netstation that boots up from the iseries
- a generic monitor and keyboard with a 20 mile long extension cable
- a linux or unix client
- a wintel client
I think a native gui is a marketing ploy that won't sell.

Granted, some of the features you want aren't there, but Konrad, if they
were would you be any happier, if it wasn't 100%?

Rock solid stability of the older os's?
I bet people would still be reporting bugs on these - if they were still
supported.

It's like people complaining that CODE/400 doesn't do this or that which
SEU does.  Why aren't they complaining that SEU doesn't do this or that
which CODE/400 does?

Benjamin Franklin

Konrad Underkofler <kdunderk@hoshizaki.com>
Sent by: midrange-l-admin@midrange.com