Jamie,

>And what did these two  pieces of software do - sped up interactive response
>times of the machines !!

And they even modified the OS be replacing components of SSP's Data Management.
And they modified every indexed file on the system to use a more intelligent
b-tree structure for the key areas.  You can see why IBM was hesitant about the
product -- it was mucking with some components crucial to the system's
operation.

The big difference here is that ANSA's implementation was just better than
SSP's.  It wasn't circumventing something which intentionally throttled the
system.

Compared to ACCELER8, FAST/400 is pretty benign in terms of the ramifications on
the OS per se.  It (allegedly) does not alter the OS or user objects, as
ACCELER8 did.  You can dynamically shut it off and the system will immediately
revert to original status -- also unlike ACCELER8.

I'm not knocking ACCELER8 -- David was a genius.  He managed to pull that off
quite successfully.

Doug