Pete,

I knew that.  You'll notice that I was nice and didn't reference the fact
that they screwed up the Revolutionary War.  For that matter, I didn't even
mention anything about tea parties.

Al

Al Barsa, Jr.
Barsa Consulting Group, LLC

400>390

914-251-1234
914-251-9406 fax

http://www.barsaconsulting.com
http://www.taatool.com

                      Pete Massiello
                      <pmassiello@os-sol        To:
midrange-l@midrange.com
                      utions.com>               cc:
                      Sent by:                  Subject:  Re: Thank for your
correspondence - The letter I got from the folks at
                      midrange-l-admin@m         FAST400
                      idrange.com

                      07/08/2002 06:50
                      PM
                      Please respond to
                      midrange-l

Al,

    Great reply.   One issue, I think they are a UK company, so they are
probably not to happy about 4th of July to begin with :).  Wishing them
a happy 4th probably just doesn't do it for them.

    I am sure you will mention them in Sound-off.

    Pete

Al Barsa wrote:

> [...]
>
>Last week, I gave an interview to Newswire, the Internet newsletter put
out
>by Penton Publishing.  This promoted Colin Wells to write me the following
>correspondence.  My public reply also follows:
>

> Mr. Barsa, in response to your statement from the newswire ("IBM
>will ultimately beat up Fast400"), you sure are putting a lot of
>faith in IBM.  IBM has already failed several times to defeat
>FAST400.
>
> The response to FAST400 has been tremendous!  We have hundreds of
>customers, some with hundreds of boxes, and some with large
>multi-processors.
>

> We understand that your opinion is biased.  After all, you make
>money from selling those expensive interactive cards. Please
>mention us in your next Sound-Off speech at COMMON.
>

>Colin Wells
>The Storage Solutions Group
>

>Below is my response, in the public domain:
>

>Mr. Wells,
>
>I agree that the response to FAST400 has likely been tremendous.
>(Regardless if it has or not, if I were selling it, I would be claiming
>that!)  However what you are doing threatens the entire AS/400 community.
>The interactive pricing scheme is integral to IBM's pricing strategy for
>the product line.  Whether you (or IBM) likes it or not, the ease of green
>screen programming is one of the reasons why customers pick this platform
>every day.   IBM makes this platform as the very best in the world, even
if
>that choose not to market it effectively.  (You notice that no one calls
it
>the iSeries, it's still the AS/400.)
>
>My opinions regarding AS/400 technology are simply my opinions, based on
>years working in this architecture.  Customers hire me (and my firm) every
>day, and groups hire me to speak frequently because they respect those
>opinions.  Privately, I speak to IBM regarding many of my thoughts about
>the product line almost every day  They are free not to take my calls, and
>not to follow my opinions, yet they take the calls and usually  take my
>opinions.  My opinions are not clouded by profit incentives, as hardware
>profit is a very small component of my business.  If my opinions get you
>mad, I am sorry.  I frequently piss-off IBM, and they are free to
terminate
>my business partner relationships anytime they please.
>
>I recognize that many customers (including you) are mad at IBM for levying
>a premium for interactive processing power, but you need to understand
what
>your actions will ultimately cause.  IBM is in the business of making
>money, and if IBM management doesn't make enough money, the IBM Board
>(representing the stockholders) will fire them and get new management that
>can make money.  This is a simple business proposition.
>
>You are absolutely correct that I am putting a lot of faith in IBM, and
IBM