----- Original Message -----
From: <vhamberg@attbi.com>
To: <midrange-l@midrange.com>
Sent: Friday, June 28, 2002 6:50 PM
Subject: Re: Experience vs College Degree

> Find what you're passionate about. Follow that drive.
> Find out who you are - this'll change some over the
> years, of course. Some of the best advice I've received
> (a book called Who's Hiring Who?) was to look at what
> gave me satisfaction, a sense of accomplishment, in
> various aspects of my life.
>
> Vern

Getting Rich Your Own Way by Skrully Blotnick Phd.

Do what you love, and the money will follow.

> > I know this is off the topic, but I need to ask the programming
> > community. I am 21 years old and have been programming in RPG and E-RPG
> > for about 1.5 years. I  love it! But I do not have a degree. My question
> > is do you all feel that I could get turned down for a job over someone
> > that has a bachelor's degree? This has never happened to me but I do not
> > want it to ever happen. I am very seriously thinking about starting back
> > to college at night to get my bachelors in CIS. This is a very hard
> > decision to make because of the amount of money it will cost to go to
> > college. That is why I'm am trying to see if job experience would
> > triumph over a degree. Please give me some pros and cons on this
> > situation.\

The head of our software development team is a musician with no college.

I've been programming and living off the results (now with 22 employees
and their families depending on the results) for 30 years.

My degree is in:

philosophy/religion
and
psychology