Joe,

I have only worked with 4.0, so take this with a grain of salt.

Make sure client and WAS server are at EXACTLY same service level.

Make sure 400 meets minimun hardware requirements. Rochester says there are
internal timeouts that could occur on too slow machine. i.e. Without
adequate hardware, it is not just a matter of the server starting slow, but
perhaps never starting at all. Somewhere they have doc'd some ways to adjust
these timers that MIGHT help.

Make sure server was ready. My 4.0.2 EJBADMIN job issues a "ready" message
several minutes after the "started" message that you saw in the joblog.

Admin console is SLOOOOOOOOW. Are you sure you don't just think it is hung?
I asked Rochester one time why certain operations never seemed to complete.
I said that I waited like 15 minutes before I cancelled console from Task
Mgr and restarted. They said, "Have you ever waited all night to see what
happens?"  (no sh_t)

Again, be advised that I am on 4.0.2, but mine does actually work, given
enough time.

Also, you might try starting it from qshell via STRWASINST.

-Marty