Joe,

    Feel free to rattle on all you want about your web designing
prowess and your unparalleled skills.  The fact remains that your
strategy is purposefully exclusionary, which runs counter to what the
Internet was founded on.

    I'm not saying that all of the geegaws that guys like you insist
need to be on a web page have work on every browser.  But only a
complete moron would not make the basic functions of their site work
with an HTML-compliant browser, including an all text browser.  And
yet I come across sites like those all of the time.  With Palm
browsers and even cell phone web access here or on the way, you might
want to re-think how much of that stuff you really need.  Many
sight-impaired folks need an all-text browser to have the content
read to them, also.  Oh right I forgot, Palm users, cell phone users,
and sight-impaired people aren't the "industry standard".

    I'm crying in my beer that you can't write a cross-browser
implementation to make a field all uppercase.  How many millions of
times are you going to download that useless routine to browser
clients, when you probably should be doing it on the server side
anyway?

    Thanks but no thanks to Microsoft HTML extensions, overblown
Javscript pull-downs, roll-overs, whiz-bang Flash animations, HTML in
e-mail, HTML on Usenet, and all of the other abominations that you
embrace as new "standards".  Just keep on snowing your clients that
they need all of that good junk so you can keep those checks rolling
in; you'll want the cash to buy more cases of that MicroSoft
cool-aid.  BTW, since supporting the "industry standard" is paramount
to you, don't forget to recommend replacing that AS/400 with a few
dozen Windows boxes.  Obviously using a server with a marginal market
share like the AS/400 is completely out.

    And no, I don't want something for nothing, I just want my
customers to be able to go to my site, read the content and order
stuff.  That's it.  Those of us with "real experience in web design"
know the dirty little secret is that it doesn't take a whole lot of
high-priced consultants to make it happen.

    Regards,

    - Lou Forlini
      Software Engineer
      System Support Products, Inc.