Joe--

Now you've gone and got my dander up.

Standard.  Indeed.  As if the AS/400 (to mention The Topic) were an
inferior machine because it thinks in EBCDIC instead of ASCII.  And
we all have to know about ASCII if we want to intercommunicate with
anyone else.

It used to be that -all- browsers followed (or claimed to follow) The
Standard, as described by that great regulatory body, The Internet
Standards Committee In Charge Of Defining Browser Standards (or
whatever it was).

And then One Company decided that it didn't have to -follow-
standards because it was big enough to make its own rules.  Sounds
like an itty-bitty machine company in -its- heydey!

Now.  About web sites.  I despise web sites that seem to think that
Flash movies are the only way to run a web site.  The company I work
for has an awful introductory page that has a 'skip intro' button
that doesn't do much, because the page it branches to is yet
-another- Flash movie.  Yuck.

For more of 'my' opinions on web page design, see
http://WWW.websitesthatsuck.com/

....oh.  Yuck.  The first thing I see on -that- page is "If you can
read this message, it's because you're using Netscape Navigator 4 or
a browser that doesn't support the latest CSS standards. This page is
going to look ugly.  Get Internet Explorer.  One Browser, Under Bill,
With Standards Compliance for All.  See
http://www.webstandards.org/upgrade/";

Evidently 'Standards' have invaded more of the world than I was aware.    |:

--Paul E Musselman
PaulMmn@ix.netcom.nospam.com