From: "Scott Klement" <klemscot@klements.com>
To: <midrange-l@midrange.com>
Sent: Thursday, December 20, 2001 4:31 PM
Subject: RE: Samba in PASE environment

>    2) Maybe a simple share like this would be a place to start:
>
>           [simple]
>              comment = Simple Share
>              path = /simple/dir
>              valid users = klemscot bdietz
>              public = yes
>              writable = yes
>              printable = no

try this instead:

[global]
    workgroup = MYGROUP
    encrypt passwords = Yes
[public]
    path = /tmp
    guest ok = yes

This is a lot better "test" config file.  Of course set path and workgroup
to something that is appropriate.

>    3) I run 7 Samba servers, and I've never used the "sambapasswd"
>         program.   I know that it's possible to create separate userid &
>         password database from the system one, but I never found the
>         need to do so.

You need to have the second acount database if you want to run Samba as a
PDC.

>    4) The SWAT program is intended to allow you to connect with a
>         web browser and get a GUI whereby you can change the configuration
>         in the smb.conf file.   The reason is because, like you, many
>         people found editing smb.conf to be awkward.

SWAT is the best solution to configure the program.. It is a VERY good
utility I believe.

>    5) Make sure you have a 'hosts allow' line in smb.conf that allows
>         access from your LAN.  Missing this is a common gotcha..
>         without this, you can't access the shares.

Wrong.  If the hosts allow is blank, it allows acces from all ip addresses.
Putting a value in for it restricts access to just the addresses you
specify.

>    6) Every time I change my samba configuration, I restart smbd and
>         nmbd.  I don't know if its required, but I do.

Ya know, it has been so long since I have needed to touch the server, I do
not even remember if you need to restart or not.