A few comments:

   1) The [Home] share is a "special" share, designed to allow every
       user that connects to magically see his own home directory on the
       UNIX machine.  Not sure if the same paradigm really applies to
       OS/400...  this might not be a good place to start.

   2) Maybe a simple share like this would be a place to start:

          [simple]
             comment = Simple Share
             path = /simple/dir
             valid users = klemscot bdietz
             public = yes
             writable = yes
             printable = no

   3) I run 7 Samba servers, and I've never used the "sambapasswd"
        program.   I know that it's possible to create separate userid &
        password database from the system one, but I never found the
        need to do so.

   4) The SWAT program is intended to allow you to connect with a
        web browser and get a GUI whereby you can change the configuration
        in the smb.conf file.   The reason is because, like you, many
        people found editing smb.conf to be awkward.

   5) Make sure you have a 'hosts allow' line in smb.conf that allows
        access from your LAN.  Missing this is a common gotcha..
        without this, you can't access the shares.

   6) Every time I change my samba configuration, I restart smbd and
        nmbd.  I don't know if its required, but I do.

Good luck