Thanks loads,  I always end up trying to read unix manuals like the are for
the 400,  I
Usually end up with a major brain cramp.

1) make sense...commented out [home]
2) sounds like a plan...I removed your name, don't need any intruders <g>
3) so the valid users is the key?  Or does it pick the userid up in the
   data stream and use that??  Hate to have to key in all my users<ugh>
4) maybe I'll fiddle with swat.  I'll just bet it uses perl somewhere alond
the way
5) In my sleep deprived stupor I thought I read that if blank then any host
on
   the given subnet could access.  I remember 127.0.0.1 as being special
and needed.
6) Easy enough to restart, I hacked a little CL to start samba under PASE.

TTFN
Bryan

Hey get a load of this thread...it has real techie stuff being exchanged<g>

===================================
A few comments:

   1) The [Home] share is a "special" share, designed to allow every
       user that connects to magically see his own home directory on the
       UNIX machine.  Not sure if the same paradigm really applies to
       OS/400...  this might not be a good place to start.

   2) Maybe a simple share like this would be a place to start:

          [simple]
             comment = Simple Share
             path = /simple/dir
             valid users = klemscot bdietz
             public = yes
             writable = yes
             printable = no

   3) I run 7 Samba servers, and I've never used the "sambapasswd"
        program.   I know that it's possible to create separate userid &
        password database from the system one, but I never found the
        need to do so.

   4) The SWAT program is intended to allow you to connect with a
        web browser and get a GUI whereby you can change the configuration
        in the smb.conf file.   The reason is because, like you, many
        people found editing smb.conf to be awkward.

   5) Make sure you have a 'hosts allow' line in smb.conf that allows
        access from your LAN.  Missing this is a common gotcha..
        without this, you can't access the shares.

   6) Every time I change my samba configuration, I restart smbd and
        nmbd.  I don't know if its required, but I do.

Good luck