On Tue, 16 Oct 2001, R. Bruce Hoffman, Jr. wrote:

> >Incidentally, the assertion that Linux is character based is a half-truth.
> >Unix is designed to serve many terminals connected to one central system,
> >just as OS/400 is.  Linux & friends have a graphical environment called
> >'X11' which gives it the best of both worlds.
>
> X is available for the 400. X is available on, and was created for Unix. It
> would be a mistake to assume that X was made for Linux. It was adopted. But
> X is just the API, it's not the graphics environment of KDE or GNOME, but
> the engine that enables those environments.

Sorry, I certainly did not mean to imply that X was made for Linux.  In
fact I referred to "Linux & friends".   In fact, I'm not a Linux user, but
rather a BSD user.   I refer to "Linux" here because I can be reasonably
certain that the members of this list have heard of it.

Running X on the 400 doesn't solve any problems, since there are no
graphical terminals for the 400 that use X, and there are very few
programs that use X on the 400.   I suppose I could use PCs running
<your favorite OS that runs XFree86 here> to access it, and write the
software myself...

But then, if I did that, I'd still be screwed because Ops Nav, Ops
Console, etc require Windows.  Yes, there are X Servers for Windows,
but frankly they're not as good.

> >OS/400 does not have a graphical environment at all.   And it's character
> >displays being "screen at a time" based are more efficient for processing
> >purposes, but MUCH less flexible than the character at a time model that's
> >used in the Unix/PC world.
>
> And in that vein, Linux does not have a graphical environment either. It's
> just if you put a distribution like RedHat on a box, the graphical
> environment is installed and activated.

But...   OS/400 doesn't have such an animal that can be installed and run.
You have to use a PC running a different operating system in order to get
a graphical environment that communicates with the 400...  and then it's a
3rd party item.

Ops Nav isn't really a graphical environment.  I can't write programs
on the AS/400 that pop up in Ops Nav.

And I'm sorry, a web server isn't a graphical environment.