Charly, Larry,
I wanted to get rid of my preconfigured LAN console ...
but couldn't manage to succesfully deactivate this beast.
I need this LAN interface as a normal LAN card and not
dedicated to anything else like console mode.
So my original question must read: is it possible to switch
the card in position C06 to non dedicated mode (means
normal LAN operation) be deactivating LAN console
in DST ? Or do I loose a slot because this is only meant
to be a console slot ?

I still prefer twinax consoles, even with serial console cabling
to PC you don't gain much: ok you then can remote control
that PC through RAS dial in and like this you can even control
your AS/400 in restricted state while being out, but have a
second machine beside, you think you take COM1 and COM2
of your PC to control the second machine likewise, but
OPs console can't !!! It will only handle ONE connection  :---)
So you would have to reconfigure the connections everytime
you want to look at the other machine, come on, IBM, this
cannot be true !

Regards from germany, Philipp Rusch