Comments inline.

>>They have given more "access" to this machine than any
>>other box they have ever sold. I don't know what the current
>>API count is, but what would be some examples of things
>>developers "need to know" that isn't currently available ???

>database access:
>Can you write a 3rd party query tool that has the same performance as
RunQry?
I have a command line interactive SQL.  Does that count?

>Could a 3rd party odbc driver be written for the 400?
Already exist.

>Is oracle able to port its database product to the 400?
There's no market for Oracle, but SAP managed a port.

>Programming:
>If you write a 3rd party programming language, how do get
>the objects referenced in a pgm written in that language
>to be included in dsppgmref?
Read Leif's MI book.

>Much of ile is shrouded in secrecy.
A bit vague.  Have you seen the Redbook?  The ILE manuals?  Taken any IBM
education?

>Twinax devices:
>Is it known how a pgm can write direct to a twinax terminal or printer
device?
Yep.  I have a 5250 datastream reference book in my hand, published in March
1987.

>Back in the day when converting from the s36 to 400, there was
>an ibm product that allowed data transfer thru the twinax port.
>Is it known how to do that?
Yep.  They simply wrapped the data in a simple 5250 display and extracted it
at the far end.  Albert York has a utility that would serve admirably as the
basis for such a project if ftp, SNADS or Netserver somehow don't meet your
needs.

I believe that the system still carries the "closed" stigma is because there
are too few 3rd party software houses.  Why are there too few?  The midrange
market as a whole is very budget conscious, and rarely buys software, or
even hardware.  Want proof?  Look at the places still on V3R2 (CISC).  Look
at the companies that still want *M36.  This isn't a rip on small companies
- it's a simple acknowledgement that small companies carefully watch
expenditures.  It's a reality of the midrange market space.

At any rate, about the only big thing that's missing from the platform is
universal support for operational descriptors.  Give us those, and we'll be
just about home free.

My opinion only,
  Buck