>>>Can you write a 3rd party query tool that has the
>>>same performance as RunQry?

>>I have a command line interactive SQL.
>>Does that count?

>How does it work?
Fundamentally, it uses a QMQRY template that is composed of all
"substitution variables", a la &A&B&C&D&E...  The command processor takes
the single input (SQLSTM) and breaks it into the individual substitution
variables, then passes the lot to STRQMQRY.

>Does it call the undocumented qdm* pgms that rpg400 calls?
Nope.  Not even an API - it uses standard OS/400 commands wrapped with a
little homegrown CL.

>Is performance comparable to opnqryf and query?
Exactly the same, because each of these (QMQRY, QRY/400 and OPNQRYF) use the
same underlying DB support.

>>>Could a 3rd party odbc driver be written for the 400?
>>Already exist.

>I assume the lack of documentation on this subject is
>the smoke of the "interface not available" fire.

I gather you haven't looked at the API manuals lately...

>ps: I am aware of the qqquery api. But I could not figure it out
>when I read it and did not see any reference to setll,
>updat, add, etc.

SETLL, UPDAT, ADD, etc. are RPG operation codes.  Why would you expect to
see information about these in the QQQQRY API reference?

>>>If you write a 3rd party programming language, how do get
>>>the objects referenced in a pgm written in that language
>>>to be included in dsppgmref?
>>Read Leif's MI book.
>
>I have. What page?

All of them, sort of.  Chapters 5, 7, 15 and 31 all have pertinent
information.  And just because I personally can't write say, a MIXAL
compiler, that doesn't mean that it cannot be done.  To extend that thought,
just because nobody else has done it, that doesn't mean that it cannot be
done.  Most of us are application programmers - we write tools that help us
generate applications.  I'm quite convinced that several people on this very
list have the skills and the internals knowledge to write a compiler, but
they're probably busy with other stuff.  That sounds cheeky, but it isn't.
The point is that as a business machine, there are relatively few AS/400s in
the hands of "casual machine level programmers."

Buck