Joe,

I'll agree with you _only_ in the case of the AS/400 community. Stored
procedures are the standard for data access in the SQL Server, Oracle,
Sybase, DB2 etc. world (at least in large environments, I'm not counting
anyone that considers 1000 rows a large table.) You are correct that you
need to perform separate queries to gather header and detail but in most
cases you can return that in a single call as two record sets (I think. I
know I can from SQL Server. I think I can from the AS/400) As far as sending
multiple rows to the AS/400 in one shot, what about XML? Send the routing
and bill of materials up as a single XML document and strip is out up there.

The biggest advantage to using stored procedures and ODBC (or actually
OLE/DB) in an ADO environment is that I don't have to teach my front end
programmers anything about the AS/400 or proprietary interfaces. Every
(good) ASP programmer knows how to use ADO to access a stored procedure. I
don't care if that procedure is on SQLServer or the AS/400 -- or both!

One of the biggest problems the AS/400 has is that it is considered
proprietary (and in many cases it is.) The unfortunate reality is that if I
can say to a client that they'll be using "industry standard, modern"
interfaces to access the as/400 they might leave it in as the core of their
environment. If, on the other hand, they think they'll be creating more
"AS/400 specific, closed, proprietary, old fashioned, mainframe-like, tired,
slow, boring, difficult to maintain, and expensive" code then they're more
likely to move to some "new, open, cheap, better, faster, cool" system like
SQL Server. While we may not agree with the quotes, I doubt anyone will
argue that they represent the feeling of many AS/400 customers.

-Walden