From: Joe Pluta [mailto:joepluta@PlutaBrothers.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 15, 2001 11:58 AM
To: midrange-l@midrange.com
Subject: RE: IIS to as/400 odbc

Walden, I wrapper all of my communications in objects, so the details are
never exposed to "front end" programmers anyway.  However, I have full
control over my protocols so that I can add features, move databases, and so
on without their knowledge.

>>I don't have "full control" of my protocols, yet "I can add features, move
databases and so on without [programmer] knowledge." If I want a new feature
I add a new stored procedure. Yes, the programmer needs to call the new SP
to use the new feature, but the same is true in your case. My database
updates _are_ done through objects -- unless you're definition of "objects"
requires Java. A simple RPG program can be an object, if it's done right.
<<

If the issue is a standard programming interface, that's pretty easy.  An
SQL result set is an iterator with a getField interface.  There's nothing to
supporting that same interface from a message-based system as well.
Besides, a GOOD programmer can use any interface, and a good O-O programmer
shouldn't care a lick about where their data is coming from.  If, on the
other hand, they're interested more in having marketable skills than in
building systems, then that's a different issue.

>>I agree that a GOOD programmer can pick up any interface, and often just
about any language. However I disagree about the use of the word "standard."
You're creating a new interface, not using a standard one. Granted the
components of the interface are standard (interators, getField, etc.) but
the interface itself is proprietary. And much as we may dislike it "resume
building" is a fact of life. It's much easier to attract and _retain_
programmers that can say "I've used ADO and OLE/DB to do this and that" than
it is when they have to say "I have a _ton_ of experience using Joe's
proprietary interface that has no bearing at your site."
<<

If the issue is being able to use SQL-like syntax on queries, well that's an
issue more for end-user queries than programmers.  I have yet to meet a
programmer who actually liked formatting the a SELECT statement, much less
an UPDATE statement.

>>Agreed. I wasn't proposing using SQL-like syntax, the CALL statement
excluded. Of course if there is a reason for me to do it (perhaps a complex
where clause) I have the option.
<<

Returning multiple results sets is not as powerful as a heterogenous message
list.  With multiple results sets, you have to still maintain cursors in
each set and perform what amounts to matching record logic to keep the
cursors in sync.  Not at all as easy as simply iterating through a list and
executing code based on message type.

>>Ah, but what about the ability in ADO to have a recordset as a field.
Using the SHAPE provider I can actually return the header records in a
result set. Field one in the row is the customer id, field two the customer
name, field three the order number and field four is actually an entire
recordset representing the order lines in that set. Of course each of those
rows could have a field that was another record set.
<<

As to XML for upload, you're pretty much conceding that ODBC won't work
here.  Instead, you're talking about a different access method entirely.
With a message-based approach, you have a consistent interface for both.  If
you use ODBC for one side and XML for another, that's inconsistent.

>>Not entirely. The interface would still work, I'm simply sending XML as a
field value. I would prefer to see each of the rows sent to the insert
statement, but I accepted your premise. ODBC and XML are not mutually
exclusive. ODBC is a communications protocol, XML is a "Standard" text file.
You still need the communications protocol to get it from point A to point
B.
<<

However, if you're highly vested in ODBC and your architecture is unlayered
and you don't wrapper your server requests and your programmers are
inflexible and your management is clueless, then sure, ODBC is the way to
go.

>>I think that is an entirely unfair representation of the situation in
companies that use ODBC. First off, anywhere you use the word "ODBC" I'd
substitute "OLE/DB." But beyond that, OLE/DB absolutely allows me to wrapper
my server requests, have flexible programmers and management with a clue.
It's possible to not wrapper in any language, and it's incorrect in any
language. Inflexible programmers are a pain in the ass in any language, and
they exist in all languages. And clueless management is a fact of life! (I'm
management, I can say that <G>)
<<

Joe