William,

>Also remember that s/36 files don't allow for a "hard delete."  (You can't
>even use a delete database trigger with them!)

You can if the file is built as "delete capable".  In BLDFILE, this is parameter
10 where the default is NDFILE but DFILE makes it delete capable.  If the file
is created by a HLL program, add DFILE-YES to the // FILE statement in the OCL.

I use delete database triggers all the time on files in QS36F.  The actual
triggers are coded in RPG IV using *CALLER activation group, but the files are
typically being updated by RPG II programs running in the S36EE.

In RPG II, there is no DELET opcode, so you use an O-spec with DEL specified in
columns 16-18, typically with an named EXCPT operation.

IIRC, delete capable files were added to SSP back in S/34 release 4 or 5 or so.
Or was that just the IFILE-YES support?  That would be around 1980-1981
timeframe. Too long ago to remember, but it has been there a *long* time, and
the S36EE has supported it since the introduction in 1988.

Doug