  • Subject: Re: What About Price vs. Performance?
  • From: "Joe Pluta " <joepluta@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 12:29:58 -0500

I don't think so, Nathan, but only time will tell.  Since the majority of my
overhead is in the Java code formatting the HTML, not in the actual data access
(it's on the order of 10-1 in CPU seconds used), I think that offloading the
Java code to multiple front end servers WILL increase throughput.

But I won't know that until I build a little test system to see.  And you're
right, as you build a network on the front end, you wander dangerously into the
TCO waters.  But since the network has no database requirements and is pretty
much just doing servlets, I'm less concerned about it.  There are people who've
been doing clustered web servers for some time, and they're pretty good at it.

Joe