  • Subject: RE: RE: programmer productivity.
  • From: Evan Harris <spanner@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 20:38:48 +1300

Hi Mike

I hope that you took my reply as being somewhat tongue in cheek also:) I
take your point about the uncertainty of programming - is it science or is
it art ? but that argument probably reflects the reality of anything that
involves intellectual effort.

What I mean by this is that amost anything that is done really
exceptionally well can be considered "art" to the initiated if it far
exceeds the normal expectations or standards.  Even simple programming is
still "magic" to many people.

To qualify the vast majority of commercial code as art would be a hard case
to argue. I'm not necessarily proposing lines of code as a measure, which
is why a number of times I alluded to developing measures appropriate to
your shop. Maybe you want function points delivered, maybe you want a user
satisfaction survey, requests delivered, bug reduction, whatever.

The point is, as creative, smart individuals we should be able to come up
with a measure that measures what we believe we deliver to whatever
business we are servicing. Once it's agreed then we can demonstrate our
value. If we don't demonstrate our value, then from a business perspective
we have none (I know this is a deliberate exaggeration, but I'm sure you
get my drift !)

At the risk of repeating myself the discussions and comments that dismiss
the desire to measure the performance of what are (when it all comes down
to it) paid professionals are utterly mistaken. Me, I'd be jumping on that
measurement bandwagon and making sure I get a measure I am happy with and
can live with and even better - exceed on a regular basis.

No measure is perfect, so I'd probably look for two or three measures I can
provide every month that would provide an indicator of performance along a
couple of lines of reference.

I realise this is a technical list (that's why I subscribe) but I think us
technical types have to learn to tango with the management boys and that
means speaking in the terms they understand and delivering on the kinds of
things business expect to see when they have dollars invested. Maybe that's
why we see so many NT  boxes getting wheeled in around the traps.....

Regards
Evan Harris