  • Subject: RE: RE: programmer productivity.
  • From: "Robert Bergstrom" <rbergst@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 07:42:03 EST

The problem I have with line of code used for measured productivity is that
it rewards ineffeciency.  For Example:

  * Example A - 1 Line of Code
C                   EVAL      Answer = (A*B) + ((C-D)* 0.80)
  * Example B - 4 Lines of Code, 2 Additional Variables and To get the same
answer
C     A             MULT      B             H1
C     C             SUB       D             H2
C     H2            MULT      0.80          H2
C     H1            ADD       H2            Answer
And this is a simple example.  I can remember one contract we were on where
one of the tasks was to clean up a set of programs, coded by someone that
must have been being paid by the line.  When we were done we had eliminated
40% of the code and reduced processing time by 80%.
I would just caution that you need to evaluate potential risks when deciding
on a qualitative measurement formula.   Our means are rather simple we work
on schedules developed by someone that knows how to program, and then we
analyze based upon resources expended against the base line.  The only
problem is I have seen project managers over the years that will schedule 80
hours for a 3 hour task and 6 hours for a 30 hour task, so I guess whatever
method you use it boils down to GIGO...

Bob Bergstrom
Technology Solutions Inc.
Perrysburg, OH 43551