  • Subject: Re: AS/400 job market
  • From: Pike4@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 08:53:38 -0500

In the New York City area, the market for RPG developers as consultants is
atrocious, it's a little better for Admins and network support, but only a
little. I feel that this is due to the fact that more and more companies are
not doing development work on the AS/400 platform anymore, but are using the
AS/400 as a server.
This is the case where I work, a major media giant. Several new PC based
systems are being developed and implemented that interface w/ the J.D. Edwards
database, but are written in Powerbuilder/Sybase on an RS/6000.  Also keep in
mind, that as more companies went to software packages like J.D. Edwards, BPCS,
JDA, etc..., the need for additional consultants is reduced, as the vendor
handles most of the mods and support.
As to the future, it is hard to say, but I see more and more AS/400 shops going
to SAP and/or Oracle. I would suggest to consultants to strongly consider and
get Full-time employment. This brings up an additional difficulty for the
consultant whose resume shows primarily consulting assignments, because many
managers don't care to hire someone like that, as they may be concerned that if
the market improves, the individual will return to consulting. A friend of mine
is going through this predicament currently. One thing to do there, is to
downplay the consulting arena as lacking excitement, training, stability, and
advancement.

MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com wrote:
> A few months ago, there was a thread that discussed the lack of work
in the AS/400 consulting marketplace. I've noticed this since last
summer. As consultants came off of contracts, fewer and fewer were
being placed again. This got really bad in the 4th quarter. There were
many reports of consultants leaving the consulting business or even
being laif off. So far January doesn't seem to be reversing this trend.
I think it's due, at least in part, because of the former consultants
taking full time positions, thus reducing the need for consultants. I'd
be interested in hearing from others on thier thoughts, concerns and
expectations on this.

Joe Teff