Joe, I learned VARPG too but it took me two weekends.  *lol*

Joe, I quite agree.  Writing client/server applications that are full GUI
applications is fast and relatively easy.   The idea of dropping a list
box or subfile "part" onto a canvas and have it actually work was a real
mind-blower for me.   I had trouble with a couple of concepts though. One
was the idea of the event-driven program model.  As you start using it
your mind will start showing you neat new ways to present data to
endusers. Another was the versatility of the tool with it's ability to
include sound and image files, multi-line edit for comment fields, Boolean
fields, other windows for presenting other data, real drop-down boxes, and
selectable subfile records for processing.

Here's what I learned real quick though.  Do inquiry-only applications at
first,  or at most, simple data gathering programs.  It is real easy to
update/delete a lot of records in a real hurry.  (How I come to know that
is not a funny story.)  Plus, the real impact in my experience is for the
inquiry-type stuff anyway, for non-data entry staff.  The other thing I
learned is why client/server hasn't taken over the world.  You really need
to put a version number & date on every single thing you do.  It is a pain
in the butt.

By the way, Meyers & Sutherland's book is a couple of years old.  There's
a whole boatload of additional stuff you'll love available now.

Booth Martin
boothm@earth.goddard.edu
http://www.spy.net/~booth

Joe Teff <joeteff@earthlink.net>