  • Subject: RE: Why not use VA/RPG
  • From: "Bob Crothers" <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 15:54:38 -0500

Joe,

Re version control, this is something that must be done with client/server.
You are asking for trouble if you do not.  I have been doing CS from before
it was called CS and I to use the Data Area with current version on server
compared to the client's hard coded version.  And if the client can get it's
version from a common source, that is even better!

Then during startup, if the 2 do not match, tell the user and exit.

If you want to be fancy, you can tell the User "You are down level...would
you like to upgrade now?".  If they say no, then exit out.  But if they say
Yes, then download a self extracting, self executing winzip of your install
to the machine (via FTP, HTTP, or your own IP conversation) and then
spawn/shell out to it to start the install/upgrade.

We use a combination of WinZip and Install Shield to accomplish this.  Users
love it.  Network admin's love it even more.

Bob