  • Subject: Re: Please advise
  • From: Jim Langston <jlangston@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Jan 2000 14:59:20 -0800

Web interface is no good for heads down data entry.  Too many
buttons, etc... unless it is done right.

It would work if you made sure you used buttons instead of hyper
links and such.  With a button you can hit the <Tab> key and select
it, then hit the <space> bar to press it.  You can do this without
having to use the mouse at all.

Use entry boxes where the user can type in the data, and not have
to select from a drop down box (you have to use the mouse for that,
although it is possible to select it with the mouse then type the first
letter/number, then use the arrow key to select, that is too cumbersome).

After the user is done, they should again be able to select a finished button
using <tab> and <space>.  If this is adhered to, I think it would be
fine.

The biggest problem for any data entry in windows is having to use the
mouse. Give the users the ability to only use the keyboard if they want,
and they will be happy.

Regards,

Jim Langston