  • Subject: Re: Programmers VS Consultants
  • From: Evan Harris <spanner@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 Nov 1999 07:38:04 +1300

>The contractor who is on the spot to solve a crises, a regular hero, yet
>never manages to solve the cause.  They milk it for years.

Yeah, and don't you know it when the "happy" users ask you, "how come it's
taking you so long to fix the problem - XXXX fixes it straight away every
time"

I've been branded as "slow" in all respects becuase I refused to rush in
and fix symptoms of bad design and coding, and the users are used to
programmers that spend heaps of their time doing band-aid job and patching
errors and fixing data all becuase they can't or won't fix their code.

In the end it kinda works out. They spend so much time fixing errors they
can't actually generate any more crap code.

But don't you just hate arriving after them - often the users love them
because they are "responsive" and "helpful" etc etc

Cheers.
Evan Harris