  • Subject: Domino & SAVLICPGM
  • From: Evan Harris <spanner@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Nov 1999 07:26:10 +1300

I had a pretty strange experience yesterday.

I was attempting to prepare a spare box that will be used during Y2K
testing and had installed all the licensed programs and found I needed to
install Domino.

We currently have 5.0.1.2 (I think - whatever the absolute latest vesion
for 5 is) so after having a hunt through the licensed program disks and
somehow or other repeatedly missing the DOmino Licensed program (I've had
this problem before) I ended up shrugging and thinking, "oh well, I'll just
use the SAVLICPGM/RSTLICPGM routine".

This has worked for me before (for instance with MQ Series)

Ahh, but it seems Domino had a little surprise in store for me.

After the SAVLICPGM Domino stopped working. Object QNOTES/LIBOS400 *SRVPGM
no longer existed.

Even better, because the Domino Server was running when this object
disappeared the machine (a 720) went into serious error recovery. Users
couldn't log in. The console got no reponse to a WRKACTJOB after a 45
minute wait. Telnet connections didn't work. TCP seemed to be unresponsive.
I tried OPS Navigator, FTP, Telnet etc. I didn't try twinax (but with
hindsight I should have)

If it wasn't for the fact that I had checked around and established that
people could still use the system I would have powered it down.
Fortunately, although somewhat bizarrely in my mind, it seems that people
that were logged on were pretty much unaffected. The problem seemed to
mainly affect TCP connection although the console problem undermines that
theory - I'm putting it down to the WRKACTJOB not being able to be completed.

Eventually, quite a while later, the problem timed out and I was able to
once again use the system sufficiently to restore the object, but RSTLICPGM
wasn't the answer - well not the RSTLICPGM I had saved that had apparently
deleted the object.

Fortunately, I had a copy of the old SAV files I had obtained from the WEB
to upgrade to 5.0.1.2 (or whatever it is). Running RSTLICPGM using these
files reloaded the LIBOS400 object back into QNOTES.

And the moral of the story ? I have no idea, but the concept of a
destructive SAV* pgm has me a bit thoughtful.

Cheers
Evan Harris