  • Subject: Re: Programmers VS Consultants
  • From: RBBaird@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 09:44:22 -0500

Ron,

> It's sort of like the pharmaceuticals that put forth products that are
> symptom treatments yet never address the illness.  There's too much
> money being made in research to ever bother finding a cure. :(

I hate to jump in and split hairs (NOT), but pharmaceutical companies don't
make money on research.  Believe me, a drug company can make as much or
more on a drug cure as they can one that only treats the symptoms.

The researchers may make money, but the pharmaceuticals lose hundreds of
millions on researching a drug.  Due to FDA regulations a new drug must go
through years of clinical studies and testing before it sees the light of
day.  If, after a few years and many hundreds of millions, the drug is
found to be ineffectual, or has serious side affects, it's back to the
drawing board and all that money is gone.

This is why drug companies have 15 year patents on a new drug, (5 to 7 of
which are eaten up in the research process with no income) - so they can
make up the cost of research and stay in business until they find the next
new drug that has a benefit.

I hate to sound like a mean and cold-hearted capitalist and I'm not
defending all they do, but it sometimes helps to know the whole story.
There are no corporations anywhere who exist solely for the benifit of
mankind.  All exist to make a profit, employ workers and give an effective
return on investment to shareholders.  If a byproduct is benefiting
mankind, all the better.

Also, as a consultant (two employers, in the same city) for 17 years, I am
offended by the broad strokes painted on us by some.

If you're going to generalize, let's go after recruiters!  They are ALL
scum!  (only kidding - I'm sure there are a couple who wouldn't frame thier
mothers for murder if it would make them a buck ;-)

Cheers,

Rick