  • Subject: Re: EDI vs E-Commerce Question - Pardon my ignorance...
  • From: joberhol@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 Aug 1999 16:47:47 -0500

*SNIP

As I just noted to Carl, my concern was in being pushed by our suppliers to
enter
P.O.s via a browser on their site, thus loosing ALL of the control and
tracking
that happens automatically now (our PO app faxes the PO to them...).

<The AS/400 is a great e-commerce machine, but given your background...>
Oh I am fairly CLUE LESS about other midrange systems other than the
AS/400. I've
been working with the A/400 since NEARLY day one (AMAZING looking back on
that
just HOW far the AS/400 has come !!!). I was brought in to get this company
OFF
of the Unix box and onto the AS/400 with 3rd party software.
*ENDSNIP

Oops, Sorry for the slight about your skills on the AS/400, I thought you
had just transitioned since the unix.

Regarding the suppliers desire to enter the PO's on the WEB, hey if they
want to double enter stuff let 'em.  The program you create on the WEB to
allow them to enter/change the PO will have to be ready for prime time
right from the getgo and have the tracking features you need built in.
Remember, you can use RPG to create the cgi programs and such.  VAJAVA and
VARPG will work well in that environment as well  It's more expensive for
you, however if that's what the customer wants, and your manangement wants
to spend the money to indulge them....   It might be nice to see the ROI on
these types of projects though.  I'll bet the money people would never do
it.

Jim Oberholtzer