  • Subject: Re: Java - Thread
  • From: Chris Rehm <Mr.AS400@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 May 1998 01:51:08 PST

** Reply to message from "Bill Phelps" <phelpswr@alpha.obu.edu> on Fri, 29 May
1998 07:59:12 CST

> I keep hearing this, that JAVA is big and growing all the time.  But
> how many businesses are actually developing production applications
> with JAVA?  I don't personally know of a single shop developing in
> JAVA.  Just curious??????????

The company that I work for has entered into a joing agreement with Mapics for
Java development.

We, IBS, specialize in software for distribution businesses. Using Java, and
the San Francisco Project objects, we can redevelop our business product making
use of our skill and expertise within the distribution industry. Mapics can also
be redeveloped using the same SFP objects to address their expertise with
manufacturing businesses.

The result will be that our products and theirs will be "plug in" compatible.
We will be able to market to a larger market as we will not have to back out of
projects which require specialized knowledge with manufacturing. This is very
important as changes in the world marketplace have evolved the roles of
manufacturers and distributors. This also means that customers of Mapics who
wish to expand to distribute their own products will be able to add our software
and take advantage of our expertise rather than struggle with complex
integration problems.

We expect that there will be other software vendors who will join in similarly.
There are a number of large software vendors already involved. The end result
will be for our customers to buy distribution software from one vendor,
manufacturing from another, financial from another, etc. and not have the
incredible integration problems that have existed in the past.

While it isn't necessary for Java to be used for such an effort, it is
necessary for there to be standardized objects so that the different software
houses can develop independantly but still be compatible. Java is ideal for this
effort.

Of course, this will also allow us to market to Unix and NT markets. This will
also give our customers a choice of migrating from the AS/400 if they should
wish. As you can guess, I would recommend migrations TO the AS/400.

> Bill Phelps                     Phone: 870-245-5567
> Ouachita Baptist University     Fax  : 870-245-5500
> Arkadelphia, AR  71998          email: phelpswr@alpha.obu.edu

Chris Rehm
Mr.AS400@ibm.net

How often can you afford to be unexpectedly out of business?
Get an AS/400.