  • Subject: Re: CODE/400
  • From: Richard Baird <rbbaird@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Mar 1998 09:40:44 -0500

Chris Rehm wrote:

> And probably if this was often enough, you could simply write a macro for CA
> to use. Then, move to the line and hit alt-v, and the surrounding lines are
> revealed.
>
> If it wasn't that often, you probably wouldn't remember what key you had the
> macro attached to, so it wouldn't pay off.

I don't use macros much.  back when I had a terminal on the 36, I used up all
24 of my record and play keys used up with procedures
and such (I had a cmdkey template around the keys to tell me what they were.
since the 400, most of those could be replaced with
pdm options.  Like you said, the things I could use them for I wouldn't use
enough to remember the key map.

<snip>

> Not often. Want to point out though that my years at the green screen have
> taught me to dislike taking my hands off the keyboard. I don't like reaching
> to mouse and back.

I'm getting more used to it, but I agree - it's a pain.  I usually just type it
in.

> What you showed was not that your mother could not be helped by the new
> technology. Only that the technology could not give the competitor enough of
> a boost to compete with her.

True, She eventually capitulated (as I will).  The big boost in her field was
when the selectric could remember a whole page, and
retype it.  It would even stop at big words towards the end of a column and let
you hyphenate.

Back then, you still had to give the type to a paste-up artist (a dead
profession) to prepare the camera ready pages.  My dad was as
good as there was at paste-up.  But he never learned to type, and the
profession left him behind.  Now thanks to tech, any fool can
layout a decent page.  He learned the pc publishing programs as they came out,
but since he couldn't type, he wasn't productive.

Which goes to your point - keep up with technology or be crushed by it.

> By the way, we have again stuck to the value of the LPEX editor compared to
> SEU. Code/400 has other tools as well. So, your contest should wait until
> you have mastered the display/report designer, and the debugger. The
> Code/400 debugger is probably as far ahead of ILE's source level debugger as
> LPEX is ahead of SEU. That may not seem like a mile (but it will) but
> consider that Code/400s debugger adds all those source level features to
> RPG/400 and has done so for years.

you have to debug your programs?  mine work the first time I compile them
(removing my tongue from the whole it dug in my cheek)

Rick