  • Subject: Re: Re[2]: CODE/400
  • From: Chris Rehm <Mr.AS400@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 2 Mar 1998 22:50:04 PDT

** Reply to note from Buck Calabro <mcalabro@commsoft.net> Mon, 2 Mar 1998
10:14:59 -0500

> "...Don't lose productivity while you learn..." is viewed as snake oil to
> a manager.   Remember, I've used Fled/Edit, and I wrote some very
> nice RPG/DDS macros for Brief; I'm very familiar with PC based
> editing (and prefer it!)

That's pretty funny. How long do you guys suppose it takes to learn to use
an editor? Buck, this doesn't speak well for your staff!

Since you are giving up nothing, ie. all your current tools are still
available, you need only pick up items as ready. The editor has an "SEU"
setting so you can use the same keystrokes for the same functions. You just
start using the new functions as you wish.

> Remember that there are few Code/400 shops and fewer Code/400 users.
> There are no mentors.

Uh, Buck, I was recommending you create your own.

> It's not the critical factor.  I've been fumbling around the point, I guess.
> The boss does not like the perceived high cost compared to the
> perceived low return.  The fact that nobody else is using it bolsters
> those perceptions; that's why I included it in the list.

Sure, it's pretty scary to spend $500 when it might only pay back $5000 a
year.

> >So, let's have a look at the tool for ourself. Why don't we pick a couple
> >of guys, maybe one senior and one junior programmer, and give them the task
> >of testing the product under our work conditions. Let them spend 60 days
> >using the tool. If it is a wash out, we should know long before the 60 day
> >mark. On the other hand, if it isn't a wash out, we could be looking at a
> >pretty decent productivity increase department wide.
>
> Because the boss already has a bad impression.  Why?  One more time
> this is the management perception:
> 1. Never heard of it.
We have now.

> 2. Nobody else uses it.
This is important how?

> 3. Much more expensive than SEU.
No it isn't.

> 4. Does the same thing as SEU/ISDB.
Just like a Pentium II does the same thing as a 386.

> In addition, we're asking the boss to take 2 prople out of production
> for, say, 2 weeks to learn to do what they already know?

No. We are asking two people to begin using the product.

> >If the product doesn't wash out, our two experienced users can mentor
> >starting the rest of us up on this one workgroup at a time.
>
> We're going to take *more* people from production to learn to edit?

No.

> Rather than debate each Code/400 feature endlessly, I just want to
> re-iterate that the boss already thinks that Code/400 is just a pretty
> editor.  Each feature *can* be performed by existing Windows/SEU/ISDB
> functions that are already paid for.  Arguing that with the boss is rarely
> (dare I say it?) productive.

Gee, I wonder where the boss got that idea? After all, he "never heard of
it", right?

> >You keep treating Code/400 like it is just a text editor. Yes, LPEX is a
> >very, very nice editor. But Code/400 is a lot more.
>
> Again, I'm not really interested in debating the strengths of Code's debugger
> vs. ISDB.  Suffice it to say that my bosses, as well as tens of thousands
> of other bosses are quite convinced that what ever value Code/400 brings
> to the table is outweighed by the cost: startup, training and hassles with
> remote sites (which all our work is!)

Oh, well that settles it then. Your boss and all the thousands of others
are convinced, so that's just the way it is. I wonder how I got so confused
about thinking that debugger was better than ISDB.

> Right.  If you want to go strictly TCP/IP (drop twinax, drop AnyNet) you
> had to give up your nice Code/400 and go back to SEU.  For YEARS.

Uh, why would you want to go to TCP/IP only when it costs the development
staff up to 20% of their productivity for NO financial gain?

Why do you keep treating a product that can add much needed staff
productivity like it is not convenient enough to use? Just how much butt
kissing does IBM need to do to get YOU to want to improve productivity in
YOUR shop? The product is great! It can be a wonderful boost at a time when
there aren't enough programmers! IBM keeps upgrading it year after year!

But all you do is complain about issues with have nothing to do with it.

> This is an arguement that the Boss uses!!!  We can see that a newbie
> programmer can use SEU in under an hour.  We also see that a newbie
> programmer takes a lot longer to use a PC editor.  Newbie here means
> new to any programming...

And you think that SEU is easier to use than LPEX!?!?!?!? What could be
easier than clicking on the source member you want to edit? You actually
believe that this takes longer than learning how to start up SEU via PDM?

> Buck Calabro
> Commsoft

Buck, this is silly! I have hooked up Code/400 in shops before and it works
great. You are pumping out excuses which I know to be bunk. You attribute
the excuses to your boss, and when I give you the response I would give to
that same short sighted boss, you argue with me about it!

Maybe if you and your boss wanted to increase productivity in your shop,
you would go looking for a tool to do that. The problem here is that
someone is trying to sell you guys something you don't want, a better way
to work.

So, if you want to increase productivity, save money and hire 10 or 20 new
programmers.

Chris Rehm
Mr.AS400@ibm.net

How often can you afford to be unexpectedly out of business?
Get an AS/400.