Objet : MSGCON vs. MSGID?

  • Subject: Objet : MSGCON vs. MSGID?
  • From: "Denis Robitaille" <DRobitaille@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 03 Feb 1998 08:45:53 -0500

fixed

With MSGID, the link is established at run time. With MSGCON, the linked is
made at compile time. We use MSGCON for all fields so we can translate our
system in several languages easily. We have one source member and several
objects (one per language). If we would use MSGID, we would have also just one
object (only several message files). MSGID have 2 draw backs that i know of:
the content of the messages must be loaded in the display(printer) file every
time it is opend (bad for performance) and when we use SDA to develop screen,
all we see with MSGID is a bunch of OOOOO. With MSGCON, we see the actual
message.

Denis Robitaille
Cascades Inc.

>>> "David Gibbs" <david.gibbs@silvon.com> 02/02 4:05 pm>>>
Greetings!

Does anyone know if there are any pariticular advantages to using
MSGID in a display file instead of MSGCON for displaying constants?

Thanks!

david

+---