• Subject: Re: SQL string conversion
  • From: John Carr <74711.77@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Feb 1998 10:02:42 -0500

RE:     Re:  SQL string conversion
>A related, ugly problem:
>Extracting a packed or signed value embedded in a large character field
>by a HLL program using a data structure. Can get a character string
>representing the number out, but with (too) many function calls, could be
>possible with one. Then apply TO_NUMBER, and your vendor package with the
>"interesting" database is fully queryable. Should it be this hard?

>MAP_PACKED and MAP_SIGNED functions sure would help here.

Using an Relational Data Base language to handle Non-Relational Data
Base stuff?  Hmm.  Fix the data base. Or use a HLL to handle that
dirty work.  Stored Procedures?

Is  TO_NUMBER an ANSI standard function?  How many Platform specific
builtin neat things are being taught/used that can't be ported over
to other ANSI platforms?
Just Curious

I bet we'll see ALOT of this type of thing
with JAVA (thanks M$).   The nice thing about standards is that there
are so many to chose from.