• Subject: RE: Performance Manager (V3R2)
  • From: Neil Palmer <npalmer@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 1998 17:45:30 -0600

        > I guess I shouldn't be surprised about the reaction to my
simple question.
        >  I am. Performance tuning is a very touchy issue. It's kept me
employed for
        >  quite a while, but I always feel edgy about whether I could
be doing a
        >  job for my clients. I would guess from the reactions I've
seen here that
        >  is no consensus on what constitutes that better job. [Yes, I
know the
        >  reaction: if the clients aren't complaining...

        Very true.  It's been over a year, but we've had some rather
        discussions on performance here before.  If I recall correctly,
the only
        concensus we ever reached was "it depends".  With the enhanced
        configurations, QPFRADJ effectively handles larger and larger
systems, but
        still not the largest.  The tools themselves _STILL_ eat a huge
amount of
        resources -- as I stated before, the collection tools still come
for free
        (unless something has changed) and I prefer queries against the
        files rather than PT/400.

        Different things work for different people in different
situations.  When you
        have a box that varies in size from a "mega-PC" to a small
mainframe, the
        latter is to be expected.  You also have people carrying biases
from the /38
        and older AS/400's that are no longer applicable to the new
systems.  However,
        I still firmly believe that _NO_ automated system can take the
place of a
        human being that knows what they are doing...

Too bad there aren't enough of the above !    :-)

... Neil Palmer                                     AS/400~~~~~
... NxTrend Technology - Canada     ____________          ___  ~
... Thornhill, Ontario,  Canada     |OOOOOOOOOO| ________  o|__||=
... Cell.: (416) 565-1682  x238      oo      oo   oo  oo   OOOo=o\
... mailto:NPalmer@NxTrend.com          http://www.NxTrend.com

        Dean Asmussen
        Enterprise Systems Consulting, Inc.
        Fuquay-Varina, NC  USA