  • Subject: Re: Paging software?
  • From: LAN400GEEK <LAN400GEEK@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jan 1998 00:01:31 EST

Jack, I have used Byteware's Pager software product and it is excellent.  It
has the ability to monitor IP devices (I used it for Novell & Windows 95/NT
machines, my WAN Routers, RAS devices, etc.) and page you if one of the
monitored devices stops responding.  It uses PING from the AS/400, so there is
no need for any changes to be made to the devices being monitored.  You can
apply filters (message severity levels/ids,etc.) to the messages that are
allowed to be monitored from QHST, QSYSOPR, QSYSMSG or any other message queue
you choose.  It lets you rest easy because you can focus on the longer term
projects and/or programming and not have to regularly check the system queues
for pgms/reports etc. blowing up or users/devices being kicked off for too
many incorrect password attempts.  On a few occasions, I would be nearby a
users' desk when they disabled themselves and would walk over to them and
freak them out by offering to help them get re-enabled (when they disabled
themselves) within a minute or so of it happening!!  They would always ask
"How do you do that??!!", never figuring out my pager was telling all!  :)
Also, I created a menu option for the IT Director, Receptionist, etc. so they
could send me a text message to the pager using the SNDMSG command.  It was
really easy to set up.  I do not have their number handy, but I believe it is
1-800-BYTEWARE.  HTH.

Reid Collier