  • Subject: Re: An odd thing
  • From: "Chris Rehm" <Mr.AS400@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Dec 1997 22:10:39 -0400

>As a COBOL AS/400 shop, I think the issue is this - there are very few
>programmers available nowadays period.  Y2K projects have increased
>demand all around.  While there are few AS/400 COBOL programmers, I
>think there are more non-AS/400 COBOL programmers than RPG programmers.

Y'know, I wonder if there is something to what you are saying. I have been
thinking that COBOL programmers are getting scarce. My philosophy is that
RPG programmers will go the way of the COBOL programmer (ie., the job
market will not grow much more, but since there is such a reduction in
manpower the dwindling supply of RPG programmers can look forward to 20
years of legacy code to maintain).

I wonder if that is the angle here. Perhaps the consulting firm feels that
in order to get the rewrite done in time they will need to look to a new
manpower pool.

I guess we'll see if it works!

>Still, if I were advising in this case, I'd probably go with RPG (or
>even C) before COBOL.  Next year, I might say Java, who knows!

Me too. Only, I'd say Java this year, since they won't be done for 18
months minimum if they can find the manpower.

Chris Rehm
Mr.AS400@ibm.net
You have to ask yourself, "How often can I afford to be unexpectedly out of
business?"
Get an AS/400.