>Hi all,
>
>I'm looking at purchasing an AS/400 for my small consulting company (3 - 5
developers).  In the next year I would like to use this AS/400 to:

>       1. Setup a company web site.
>       2. Learn ILE RPG
>       3. Learn to integrate Lotus Notes and AS/400
>       4. Learn Java for the AS/400
>       5. Setup a small NT network on IPCS
>
>My questions are:
>       1. What size AS/400 would you recommend for this?

Model 150 Server with feature 0184 with minimum 16GB disk and 64MB memory.

>       2. What are some of the features I will need to purchase to accomplish
some/all of the above items on the list?

In addition to that listed in #1, PDM, RPG, and Enhanced Lotus Pak.

>       3. Should I purchase/lease it directly from IBM or a 3rd party?

If you become a member of Partners in Progress, you can get a developer
discount from IBM.

>       4. Should I wait for the next release with the Native Notes or purchase
now/upgrade later?

That depends on your time requirements.  We purchased 2 model 150's under
V3R7 knowing a new machine was going to be announced.

>       5. What should I expect to pay to get this system?

List price should be around $20K.  A developer discount from IBM will
substantially reduce this price.  An alternative is to be come an IRA and
get an IRA discount from your IR.

>I have been playing around with the configurator on the IBM web site but
I'm a RPG programmer/Lotus Notes developer by trade and have very little
hardware experience.  I wanted to get some insight from you all before I
contacted IBM so I could seem somewhat intelligent.

>TIA,
>
>Rich Dotson
>RT3 Consulting Services, Inc.
>P.O. Box 126
>Lorain, Ohio 44052-0126
>
>Phone: 216 556-1710
>email: rich_dotson@centuryinter.net
>    or:  rich_dotson@hotmail.com
>+---
>| To submit a new message, send your mail to "MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com".
>+---
>umidr

Charlie Massoglia, Massoglia Technical Consulting, Inc.
PO Box 1065, Okemos, MI 48854, USA
517-676-9700  Fax: 517-676-1006  EMAIL: cmassoglia@voyager.net