  • Subject: Re: Developer AS/400
  • From: "Art Tostaine, Jr." <atostain@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Dec 1997 10:26:11 -0500

Rich Dotson wrote:

> I'm looking at purchasing an AS/400 for my small consulting company (3 - 5
>developers).  In the next year I would like to use this AS/400 to:
>
>         1. Setup a company web site.
>         2. Learn ILE RPG
>         3. Learn to integrate Lotus Notes and AS/400
>         4. Learn Java for the AS/400
>         5. Setup a small NT network on IPCS
>
> My questions are:
>         1. What size AS/400 would you recommend for this?
>         2. What are some of the features I will need to purchase to
>accomplish some/all of the above items on the list?
>         3. Should I purchase/lease it directly from IBM or a 3rd party?
>         4. Should I wait for the next release with the Native Notes or
>purchase now/upgrade later?
>         5. What should I expect to pay to get this system?
>
> I have been playing around with the configurator on the IBM web site but I'm
>a RPG programmer/Lotus Notes developer by trade and have very little hardware
>experience.  I wanted to get some insight from you all before I contacted IBM
>so I could seem somewhat intelligent.
> Rich Dotson
> RT3 Consulting Services, Inc.

Rich:

I use a model 150 to do all of the above.  If you get 8 gig disk, go with the
base 128 meg memory, one extra comm line and twinax controller, you can get a
150 Growth for around $15K ot $16K list.  If you want to run notes and NT on
the IPCS, you should probably get 2 IPCS
so that you can experiment, delete, recreate, etc., without affecting the other
application.  I would bet that NT needs its own IPCS anyway.

I would try to become and IRA also.  You can get 50% discount on two machines
per year, and 100% discount on software.  You have to qualify, but as long as
you have customer references you should be OK.  I am an IRA with JBA,
www.jba-intl.com, or I think SIRIUS can set you
up also.  They will want you to sell machines to other people, though, so if
you don't want to be in the hardware business, don't go IRA.

If you don't go IRA, but from IBM direct.  You'll get an IBM invoice, IBM
support, etc., it will be worth the couple of bucks extra.

Leasing from IBM is ok.  We did that.  Anything less than $50K from IBM
requires a direct debit account.
Go with the $1 buyout lease.  You'll probably want to keep this machine for
ever.  ICC does have a developer lease, but qualifying is much harder, and you
have to go through all sorts of applications, etc.  I don't know the specific
advantages to this lease, however.

--
Art Tostaine, Jr.
Creative Computer Associates, Inc.