James:
Sorry, but you can't do it the way you are trying.  Basically using PSI
3164 to a AWSC is the same as connecting to a 400 as a twinax terminal.
Therefore there is no way to use the 2nd AWSC modem to call (or answer for
that matter) to another AS400.  It is pretty much strickly a WORK STATION
controller.  The obvious excption is using an APPC type connection (CA400,
PCOM etc.) which allows your PC to be a peer device to the 400 and allows
file xfer, etc.  But I know of NO way to connect to another 400 this way.

What you can do is configure SNA over the ECS or another available port on
the AS400.  You should be able to use any V.24 port on the machine as long
as it has a sync modem (UDS v3225, v3229 or v3400 or most IBM modems)
attached (perferably one that supports V25bis autodial, since you are
probably a ling way from the AS400).  This is really pretty straight
forward to set up.  You need to define on both systems a line, use
CRTLINSDLC, and on each system an APPC controller, use CRTCTLAPPC.
Designate one controller to *DIAL and the other to *ANS.  If you have
autocfg turned on, the 400s will config the device descriptions on the fly.
 Also be sure the value of QAUTOVRT is not.  If you wish to transfer files
between the systems then you will need to config SNADS.

Let me know if this makes sense and where it doesn't and I can fill in the
blanks.
HTH.
Carl

At 10:43 AM 9/23/97 +0100, you wrote:
>Here's one for the list:
>
>Communications is not my forte', but I happen to be dialed in at a
>client and thought to myself "Can I passthrough this machine to another
>client with the hardware available to me?"
>
>Here's what's available to me: Multiple AS/400's most with an ASCII
>controller or Andrew convertor, all with an ECS line of course.  The
>ASCII or convertors mostly use USR 28.8 modems.  The ECS lines are
>anywhere from 2400-9600 IBM or UDS modems.  Most sites are V3Rx CISC
>machines (one is still at V2R3). None have LANS. Some have twinax
>connected PC's with modems. Most use Emerald emulation instead of CA.
>
>Client #1 has two modems on their ASCII controller and I would use their
>machine as my first contact.
>I use the PCI 3164 emulation product for my connection to machine #1.  I
>want machine #1 to dial out on the second ASCII modem to another
>machine.
>
>Not only to log on the second machine, but to transfer files between
>machines.  Since I'm using 3164 emulation I can't transfer files from my
>PC to the host.
>
>Any pointers?
>
>James W. Kilgore
>QAPPDSN@ibm.net
>+---
>| To submit a new message, send your mail to "MIDRANGE-L@midrange.com".
>|    and specify 'unsubscribe MIDRANGE-L' in the body of your message.
>+---
>uucp

Carl J. Galgano
http://cgalgano.home.mindspring.com