  • Subject: Re: Multi AS/400 via ASCII dialup
  • From: "James W. Kilgore" <qappdsn@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Sep 1997 12:15:42 +0100

Carl Galgano wrote:

<snip>

> What you can do is configure SNA over the ECS or another available port on
> the AS400.  You should be able to use any V.24 port on the machine as long
> as it has a sync modem (UDS v3225, v3229 or v3400 or most IBM modems)
> attached (perferably one that supports V25bis autodial, since you are
> probably a ling way from the AS400).  This is really pretty straight
> forward to set up.  You need to define on both systems a line, use
> CRTLINSDLC, and on each system an APPC controller, use CRTCTLAPPC.
> Designate one controller to *DIAL and the other to *ANS.  If you have
> autocfg turned on, the 400s will config the device descriptions on the fly.
>  Also be sure the value of QAUTOVRT is not.  If you wish to transfer files
> between the systems then you will need to config SNADS.

Thanks for the feed back.  I used to have an Andrew 3xplus card for
remote dialup to the ECS lines and could use ETU for file transfer.
This works OK for a single connection and does allow for software
distribution, but the machines I support are commonly equiped with only
one comm port and I was hoping for some other form of passthorugh (if
I'm dialed in via ECS there is no available comm port for the AS/400 to
dial out to another AS/400.)

That does bring up a point, if I'm a locally attached workstation I can
passthrough to another AS/400, if the 3164 emulation on a dialup ASWC
treats me as a local device, I was hoping I could estabolish a
connection to another machine even if I have to use the ECS lines
between machines.....but at 2400 baud...yeech!

Not all sites have CA, but I think I can talk them into buying a
license.

Tnanks again.