At 04:37 PM 9/6/97 GMT, you wrote:
>Are there any books aimed at the AS/400 beginner? Basic stuff like
>"How is the AS/400 different from PCs?", basics of the job process,
>library/folder and file/object concepts, end-user work management,
>etc.? There stuff scattered throughout IBM's manuals but not all
>consolidated in a 150 or so pages I could give to a PC person who
>wanted to learn the basics of the AS/400 system.
>
>Printed and online resources are appreciated.

You might look at 'Getting Started With AS/400', SC41-4204. It's about 50
pages, it's on the Softcopy CD, or it's available in PDF format at
http://AS400BKS.rochester.ibm.com:80/bookmgr/pdffile.html

Here're the contents:

About Getting Started with AS/400, SC41-4204
Welcome to AS/400
Chapter 1. Getting Acquainted with Your AS/400 System
        Signing on to Your AS/400 System
        Accessing Operational Assistant
        Your Function Keys
        Getting Help When You Need it
        Changing Your Password
        User Profiles and Assistance Levels
        Security Levels and User Profiles
        Using Online Education
Chapter 2. Finding System Information
        Accessing Information Assistant Options
        Where to Look for Information
        How to Comment on Information
        What’s New this Release
        InfoSeeker (BookManager)
        Need an Online Book?
        Need a Hardcopy Book?
Chapter 3. AS/400 Displays
        Menu Displays
        Entry Displays
        List Displays
        Information Displays
Chapter 4. AS/400 Graphical Access Displays
        Covering the Basics
        Graphical Access Menu Displays
        Graphical Access List Displays
        Graphical Access Entry Display
Chapter 5. Control Language Commands
        Making Sense of Command Names
        Where to Enter a CL Command
        Finding Command Information
Chapter 6. Working with Messages
        Displaying Messages
        Sending Messages
Chapter 7. Controlling Jobs
Chapter 8. Controlling Printer Output
        Working with Printer Output
        AS/400 Printing Tips
        System/36 Environment Printing Tips
Chapter 9. Signing off the AS/400 System

About online education, here's a bit from the above book:

Using Online Education

Beginning with Version 3 Release 7, a computer-based training (CBT) course is
available on CD-ROM to introduce you to the concepts and day-to-day
operational
skills for your AS/400. This course called AS/400: Getting to Know Your
System
comes to you free-of-charge in the Early Planning Package you receive before
your system arrives. You can run this CD on an IBM-compatible 486 PC with 256
color capability.

After you complete this online course, you should be able to:
- Describe the equipment and software architecture of AS/400
- Use OS/400 menus, system displays, and help support
- Control jobs, queues, and printed output
- Start and stop your AS/400 system
- Send and receive messages
- Access and use the Operational Assistant menu
- Understand, order, and install PTFs
- Perform basic problem determination on your AS/400

The different modules that this course offers give you the knowledge and
skills that will enable you to perform basic operations on your AS/400.

There's also "System Operation for New Users", SC41-3200. It's about 3
times as big as the first one, but lots of pictures for the kiddies <vbg>!
It's also available at the sources listec above.

Notices
Trademarks and Service Marks
About System Operation for New Users (SC41-3200)
Chapter 1. An Introduction to the AS/400 System
        Meet Norbert
        A Typical Computer System
        Input Devices
        Output Devices
        Storage Devices
                Main Storage
                Magnetic Disks
                Diskettes
                Magnetic Tapes
        The Processor
        The Operating System
        The AS/400 System
                The AS/400 Operating System–OS/400
        Summary
Chapter 2. Signing On and Signing Off Your Computer
        Your User Name
                What If You Make a Typing Mistake
                Let’s Intentionally Make a Mistake
        Your Password
        Your First Menu
        Accessing Operational Assistant
        Cursor Movement Keys
                Making Keystroke Mistakes
        Signing Off the Computer
                Temporary Sign-Off
        Signing On/Off Summary
Chapter 3. Your Keyboard
        Function Keys
                Engraved Function Keys
                Numbered Function Keys
        Keyboard Summary
Chapter 4. Assistance Levels and Your User Profile
        Assistance Levels
                Basic Assistance Level
                Intermediate Assistance Level
                Advanced Assistance Level
        Changing Your Assistance Level
        User Profiles and Security Levels
                User Profile
                Security Levels
        Assistance Level and User Profile Summary
Chapter 5. Using Displays
        Menu Displays
                Back to Operational Assistant
                Using the Message Line
                More Menus and Displays
                Help, Help
        Entry Displays
                Changing Your Password
        List Displays
        Information Displays
        Using Displays Summary
Chapter 6. Using Online Information
        Extended Help Information for a Display
                Let’s Get Help
        Help Information for a Field
                Using Hypertext
        InfoSeeker
        InfoSeeker
                What Are Online Books and Bookshelves?
                Benefits of Online Books and Bookshelves
                How Is the AS/400 Softcopy Library Organized?
                Before Starting InfoSeeker
                Installing the Online Information
                Starting InfoSeeker
                Using InfoSeeker Displays
        Online Information Summary
Chapter 7. Messages
        Informational Messages
        Inquiry Messages
        Message Queues
        Message Sources
                AS/400 System Messages
                Application Program Messages
                User Messages
        Where Will They Be?
                Message Line
                Break Message Display
                Work with Messages Display
        Sending Messages
                Let’s Practice Sending a Message
        Receiving Messages
                Message Delivery Modes
                Getting an Inquiry Message
        Deleting Messages
        Message Summary
Chapter 8. Managing Your Work
        Batch Jobs
        Tracking Your Job
        Controlling Jobs
        Controlling Printer Output
        Work Management Summary
        Let’s Try It!
Appendix A. Using Control Language Commands
        CL Structure
                Parameters
        Where to Enter a CL Command
                Menu Command Line
                Command Entry Display
        How to Enter a CL Command
                Using Prompts to Complete Parameters
                Using the Free Format Method
        Control Language Summary
Appendix B. Advanced Menu Planning
        Using Go Commands
        Using the Sign On Display
        Commonly Used Menu IDs
Appendix C. Intermediate Level Topics
        Changing Your Initial Menu
        Changing Your Message Delivery Mode
        Using Online Education
Appendix D. Additional Functions
        System Request Function
        Type-Ahead Function
                Turning Off the Type-Ahead Function
                Verifying the Keyboard State for the Type-Ahead Function
Appendix E. AS/400 Keyboards
                Using the IBM-Enhanced Keyboard
                Using the 122-Key Typewriter Keyboard
                Using the 5250 Keyboard
                Using Function Keys with the Personal Computer
        Using the ASCII Keyboards
                Using the 3101 ASCII Keyboard
                Using the 3151 ASCII Keyboards
                Using the 3161 ASCII Keyboard
        Using the Special-Character Keyboard Set
                Using the Special-Character Keyboard Set Function
                Normal Keys That Can Be Used but Do Not Cause You to Exit the
Function
                Normal Keys That Can Be Used and Cause You to Exit the Function
                Special Character Positions for Different Keyboards
                Special Characters Shown Differently for Some Display Stations
Appendix F. Function Key and System Request Menu Differences
        Function Key Differences
                Function Key Differences on Command Prompt Displays
                Function Key Differences on Help Displays
                Function Key Differences on System Menus
        Work with ... (List) Display Differences
        System Request Menu Differences
Bibliography

This last one probably combines the best of NYTOL and some attempts at
lightening things up a bit.

Cheers

Vernon Hamberg
Systems Software Programmer
Old Republic National Title Insurance Company
400 Second Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55401
(612) 371-1111 x480