  • Subject: Re: What after Year2000
  • From: "Chris Rehm" <Mr.AS400@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jun 1997 11:43:21 -0700

>Three years from today, A/R clerks will 'deal with' unpaid invoices in
>their A/R (e.g.:  change the invoice date from xx/xx/19xx to 01/01/00), as
>will others in business.

I usually try not to comment, because I am usually judged "in denial". But
I am feeling particularly brave.

I don't really think that the year 2k will offer up as much doom and gloom
as is usually purported. Yes, there is great potential for problems.
However, most of us are forced to make corrections before the year 2k. For
instance, last year we had to modify our programs to accept credit card
numbers with the 00 date, since they were being issued with an expiration
year of 2000. I imagine that banks have been dealing with dates into the
year 2000 for some time, since they have been issuing 30 year, 20 year,
and 10 year loans.

Certainly not all systems will be fixed in time. But most will be.
Products like IBM's Bypass2000 really reduce the workload for companies
with a conversion effort. My largest customer is already completely
converted to Y2k compliant software. I imagine he has errant PCs here and
there in his organization, but I don't suspect he will be going out of
business year 2k.

IBM and the Y2k companies will make big money saving the butts of those
who refuse to plan ahead. During the year 1999 companies will begin to
experience the difficulties caused by their Y2k problems and we will
become used to dealing with them, eliminating some while new ones pop up.
This will force companies to pay attention before "doomsday". I suspect a
great deal of money will be spent during that year that should be spent
this year.

As to elevators stopping and all that: I suppose that if I manufactured
elevators that might stop and lock up on 1-1-2000, I would make a patch
and sell it to those who purchased my elevators. Or give it away, if my
lawyers told me to.

Clerks changing dates on invoices is a realistic consideration about how
some problems will be dealt with.

>Al

Chris Rehm             | You have to ask yourself, "How
Mr.AS400@ibm.net       | often can I afford to be unexpectedly
                       | out of business?"
Get Warped or Get Bent!| Then get an AS/400.