Marc Zylka said:

> I read with interest, last night, about Java on the IBM web
> page.  Specifically, I was checking out Visualage for Java.

Pretty exciting stuff if you ask me.

> Java looks like it could improve productivity.  The question
> is, can it be used to write an application for a green screen?

The short answer is no. There is currently no support for a 5250 style
device. The real answer is that this is a big reason for the Network
Computer. The NC runs Java applets and applications allowing the graphic
screens to be drawn at the NC so the 400 need not support GUI. Ideally,
this provides the best of both worlds. The NC picks up the work load for
user interface, and can even do some of the processing depending on
what the programmer writes. The AS/400 would handle all the data base
work, and whatever part of the processing the programmer put there. Since
the NC can be configured/controlled from the host, this reduces the risk
that user customizing will disable the system.

> as mentioned before.  I wonder how many 5250's are still
> running out there.  Those terminals were heavy duty.

With manufacturing what it is today, it is no doubt almost as cheap to
produce a NC as a (for instance) 3486. This being the case, it makes more
and more sense to produce versatile terminals that allow both graphics
and green screens to run on them. Hence, the NC might have a number of
great applications even though it will certainly not displace the PC.

> Marc Zylka (mzylka@netpath.net)
Chris Rehm
Mr.AS400@ibm.net
You have to ask yourself, "How often can I afford to be
unexpectedly out of business?" Get an AS/400.