  • Subject: RE: Twinax Card and Win95
  • From: "Bob Cozzi (List Servers)" <cozzi2@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 May 1997 10:19:21 -0500

To be fair, they do, now, call it a "Home/Small Office" computer.  I
consider my AS/400 a small office computer too. Is there any instance where
a Small Office doesn't have network of any kind? I think probably where
there's only one PC in the office.

I guess I figured, that since it was the leading edge IBM PC, (200MHz,
3.1Gb DASD, 32Mb RAM) that it didn't qualify as a home PC. I figured people
at home spent around $1100 to $2000 for their home systems.

Actually, what I think really happened, is that IBM added this new Mwave
component to its PCs. Mwave and its related supporting components use up
all remaining IRQs in the PC. Hence, even though they have 5 to 7 open
slots in this "home" computer, you really can't add anything that might use
an IRQ.

Now, Aptiva does say that there are 2 IRQs available. And then they go on
to explain their availability by saying "All you have to do is disable the
serial Port and IRQ 3 is available." The other that they say is available
is IRQ 11. But that's used as a shared IRQ for PCI card support.

I guess my belief is that Aptiva inadvertently goofed up, and doesn't want
to admit it. I don't really care about who goofed up, however, I just want
them to give me an answer as to how to fix it. If that means returning my
Aptiva to the dealer, then fine. That is a solution.

I'm just growing tired of the phone calls, rebooting, and configuration
changes in a feeble attempt to kill time before they give me the real
answer.

Now, IBM AS/400 Supportline staff has been pretty much up front with
things. And the PC tech support people (non-Aptiva support) have been very
help full. I guess I'm not buying IBM PCs anymore. Too bad.

So anyway, what's that number for Compaq or Dell?  <g>

Bob Cozzi
Bob@rpgdev.net
www.rpgdev.net