> From: Blair Wyman
>
> PMFJI, but I took a look at these numbers, and am surprised that
> anyone else would be surprised...  I mean, we've increased CPU speed
> by more than 3x since Jun-2000, and we've moved from DE to JIT.
>
> Where's the "shocker," again?

3x isn't 11x.  And DE to JIT isn't another 3.5x.  So where did all this
performance come from?

The fact that it's one of the fastest machines in the world is actually
a shocker, and it's certainly NOT the perception in the world at large.

Thought exercise: I'm running a 2002 model 270 at V5R1.  When I move to
a model 520 or a model 810 at V5R3, will I see an 11-fold increase in
performance?  If so, I will name my next child after you.  Heck, if it's
just 5x, I'll name a sandwich after you.

Joe