You need to look at the JVM.  It has limits on maximum size as well that
could very well be smaller than the underlying OS/400 limits.  I thought
that V5R1 upped them to a fairly high number, but you may need to pass a
JVM option to control it.  I would recommend researching the problem from
that angle.

I think on V4R5, the limit is fairly low, like 16 MB, so it is possible
that V5R1 only upped it to 2GB.

It is also possible, perhaps even likely, that there are ways to program
around the limitation.

Hopefully, one of the IBM'ers can chime in now.

"Marc Nothum" <>
Sent by:
08/28/2002 10:40 AM
Please respond to java400-l

        Subject:        IOException: Object too large

Hello everybody,

When writing data to an IFS-file, I get the exception
Object too large.> when exceding the 2 GB limit.
Has anyone an idea, what's wrong?

I have done the following checks:

IBM comunicates in a whitepaper
( file
support in the ifs) that large files up to 256 GB are supported till V4R4;
we have V5R1.

There are some other files on our IFS, (in Domino), that are larger than

I am using the FileWriter.class to write the data.

Has anyone an idea, where this limit could come from?

Thanks in advance,

      Marc Nothum

Electronic information is not secure, therefore the Entreprise des Postes
Telecommunications accepts no responsibility whatsoever for the contents
message, which is intended for the addressee only. Its contents and any
attached files are strictly confidential. If you have received this
error, please telephone the following number 4765-1.

mailing list
or email: