Patrick,

If you don't want QSH flashing with messages sent by System.out.printxx
when calling Java from RPG you can use following solution by redirecting
System.out
to a log file. No flashing occurs (at least when I used my example) when calling
the RPG2JAVA2 program. You could control the redirection by an extra parameter
when calling your methods. (or use a Properties file, ...)

kind regards,

Geert Van Landeghem
Reynders Etiketten NV
Tel: 03/460.32.81
GSM: 0477/75.95.33
gvl@reynders.com

Example DateDemo.java
import java.io.*;
import java.text.*;
import java.util.*;

public class DateDemo
{
  public static void main(String args[])
  {
    printDemo();
  }

  public static void printDemo() {
    try {
      // Redirecting System.out to a log file.
      System.setOut(new PrintStream(new
FileOutputStream("/home/gvl/java.txt")));
    }
    catch(Exception e) {
    }
    Date curDate = new Date();
    DateFormat df;

    df = DateFormat.getDateInstance(DateFormat.SHORT, Locale.US);
    System.out.println("United States  : " + df.format(curDate));

    df = DateFormat.getDateInstance(DateFormat.MEDIUM, Locale.UK);
    System.out.println("United Kingdom : " + df.format(curDate));

    df = DateFormat.getDateInstance(DateFormat.LONG, Locale.FRANCE);
    System.out.println("France         : " + df.format(curDate));

    df = DateFormat.getDateInstance(DateFormat.FULL, Locale.GERMANY);
    System.out.println("Germany        : " + df.format(curDate));

RPG2JAVA2
H dftactgrp(*no) actgrp(*new)
 * Prototype for printDemo
D printDemo       PR                  ExtProc(*JAVA
D                                     :'DateDemo'
D                                     :'printDemo')
D                                     static
 /Free
   // Call the printDemo method.
   printDemo();
   *Inlr = *on;
 /End-Free

After calling RPG2JAVA
 Edit File: /home/gvl/java.txt
 Record :       1   of       4 by  10                      Column :    1     59
by 126
 Control :

CMD
     ************Beginning of data**************
    United States  : 8/9/02
    United Kingdom : 09-Aug-02
    France         : 9 août 2002
    Germany        : Freitag, 9. August 2002