Sound like the LPEX team needs to be taken behind the programming woodshed.

Clearly the design is flawed: it's bad enough we're being forced into the
same blue "application development tool" suit (read "lowest common
denominator"); now we find we're stuck with shoddy development and
programming practices.  Maybe the person making the decision to allow this
rubbish ought to try coding (CODE'ing) on a regular basis to find out what
it's like at the sharp end of the stick.  It's "free"?  Free for whom?

The LPEX design might have been appropriate years ago, but in the era of
gigahertz PC's and Windows 2000, I find it hard to believe "performance
reasons" is anything other than a CMA ("cover my ***") excuse.  Let me make
sure I understand this: we're talking about IBM's enterprise-wide text
editing solution?  I wonder if the LPEX team actually uses their product...

With code like this, it's easy to understand why it's impossible to keep
CODE up on a WAN or dial-up for more than two hours without losing your
source in TMP with some meaningless name.  I'd hate to know what's really
going on inside my favorite piece of code, EVFCTCPD.exe.

We might live in a house or we might live in a high-rise apartment.  What
makes IBM think we should be using the same tools or techniques to construct
them?

If Microsoft introduced non-standard behavior like this, we'd be howling.
Oh, that's right...we are!

Let me go recover my source and attempt to make some money so I can feed the
doggies.

-reeve