From: craigs@dekko.com [mailto:craigs@dekko.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 24, 2002 1:25 PM
To: code400-l@midrange.com
Subject: Get Program Verifier into TurnOver

I would really like to use the Program Verifier (Actions -> Verify program)
but I can't because I am editing source in CODE/400 from TurnOver change
management.
I have wanted this functionality for many months but I don't think the
SoftLanding's TurnOver people understand what the advantages of Program
Verify are.  I keep looking for this but nothing comes up.  I sent a
request to SoftLanding to have Verify capabilities in CODE/400 from
TurnOver and they rejected it and said to use the *NOGEN on the compile to
accomplish the same thing.  Wrong.  I probably should have marketed it
better and mentioned the advantages of Verify but I didn't think I needed
to.  Some of this was probably my fault.
When editing source from TurnOver, the TurnOver menu with options of
"Compile -> Prompt" and "Compile -> No prompt" pop up.  I have used this
happily for most of my programming for a long time because it uses the
library list set up by TurnOver.  Why can't there be a TurnOver verify
option like the compile?  Is there anyone using CODE/400 and TurnOver that
would like the Program Verify option?  Can there be a solution (or a
workaround) and can IBM work with SoftLanding again to get this resolved
like they did with the compile?  Stay tuned.  I doubt SoftLanding would
listen to just my concern but if everyone who wants this capability speaks
out, maybe it could become a reality.  I would think if IBM wants to market
the Verify function, they would want to have it work with the TurnOver
library list and would get on SoftLanding's case.  I would be interested to
know what IBM thinks of this functionality and other future change
management software integrations.
NOTE: I, in no way, wish to belittle IBM or SoftLanding in any way.  I have
been impressed with the high level of customer support and the speed at
which my problems were resolved from IBM and SoftLanding.

My opinion of advantages of using the Program Verify option (which I cannot
use from TurnOver):
I heard a long time ago that the main benefit of using the Program Verifier
lies in the cache option.  It appears that the two advantages of using the
cache is that it really speeds up the verifier and you can verify
disconnected from the AS/400.  I was able to verifying a program that took
18 seconds uncached in 1 second cached.  Keep in mind that the first time
doing the cache on a verify still takes the normal verify or compile time
but after that, you are really flying.

I would really like to hear anyone's input on this subject and anything you
might know about the future of TurnOver with CODE/400.

Thanks,
Craig Strong